Position: School Maintenance Operative
Hours: Permanent, Full time (working 37 hours a week 52 weeks)
7:30 till 4:00 Monday to Thursday
7:30 till 3:30 Friday
Our vision is that every child and young person in the country has a safe and happy childhood. To help us achieve this, the role will:
Provide high quality maintenance and a positive, clean, safe, secure, and effective operation of the workplace, which includes all school, residential, ancillary buildings, and the surrounding grounds, including supporting contracted services to deliver a high standard of service to Action for Children staff and service users at the sites.
Action for Children protects and supports children and young people, providing practical and emotional care and support, ensuring their voices are heard, and campaigning to bring lasting improvements to their lives. To help us achieve this, the role will:
- Support with all on site operational facilities at Headlands (or any replacement School) to deliver a professional and focused services to all building occupants and ensuring the experience is consistent with our values and brand.
- Work to an agreed daily schedule and to complete tasks within agreed timescales and quality.
- Communicate and be available for urgent Health and Safety work requests at short notice (contactable via company mobile phone).
- Update local databases, to include, but not be limited to data entry, works orders modules, to ensure transparency of progress to service users, compliance activities and completeness of the support contractors’ uploads.
- Apply Action for Children policies, procedures, and processes, utilising the training received to perform tasks allocated and compliance with Health & Safety regulations.
- Proactively ensure all equipment, fixtures and tool are fit for purpose in line with budget considerations.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team, to support and liaise with internal stakeholders, service users, external suppliers, and contractors.
- Ensuring written records are produced, detailing follow up work or issues that require the intervention of the Maintenance Supervisor or management, including and those that will impact on the health, safety and wellbeing of staff, colleagues, and service users.
- Undertake maintenance work to the fabric of the interior and exterior of buildings, outbuildings and gardens and are applied to a high standard, ensuring compliance to the service to keep them tidy, safe, and fit for purpose.
- Undertake a range of maintenance activities, subject to training and competence to include but not exclusively to investigate plumbing and electric faults, painting & decorating, repairing and plaster ceilings & walls, building furniture and shelving units, glazing, vehicle maintenance and safety checks, driving services, working at heights, manual handling, litter picking and dealing with medical or hazardous waste.
- Supporting work experience with pupils who attend our school daily fire alarm testing etc. and participate and undertake site security measures.
- Using, maintaining and storing all equipment safely in accordance with training received and / or instructions laid out in the user manual and duly record updates or further checks required. By making equipment available that requires servicing by an appropriate specialist and become familiar with user manuals.
Everyone who works at Action for Children should:
- Demonstrate a commitment to Action for Children’s defining statement, ‘safe and happy childhood’, and promote and incorporate Action for Children’s Participation Standards as appropriate to your role.
- Achieve the highest standards of safeguarding, whether through direct care provision or support activities to the children and young people who come into contact with our services, or by appropriately reporting concerns about any child or young person.
- Promote our equality and diversity strategy locally, including linking with local equality and diversity frameworks to ensure best practice and to inform and develop appropriate action plans.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to operate within a constantly changing environment and as such work priorities and targets may change.
- Recognise that management reserves the right to make reasonable changes to the job purpose and accountabilities.
- Undertake such other duties that occasionally arise, which will always ensure that children across the country have a safe and happy childhood and the foundations they need to thrive.
- Work with other departments and countries to ensure that Action for Children’s values (passionate, ambitious, collaborative and inclusive) are delivered.
- Be familiar and compliant with health, environmental and safety policies and procedures. In the event of any serious risk, take immediate action to reduce this risk and inform senior management.
Level 4, 5,& 6 job holders from Organisational job matrix.
Partner agency management.
Number of direct line reports: 0
Overall staff responsibility: 0
Income target: £0
|Essential personal requirements||How we will assess personal requirements (e.g. Application, Interview or Test)|
|Qualifications||1. Hold, or be willing to undertake training for, First Aid at Work qualification and Fire Marshall certification|
2. Achieved educational standard to receive, read and interpret instructions.
|Experience and training||1. Previous experience of working on own initiative and taking responsibility for own work and knowing when to seek advice|
.2. Demonstrable experience and or qualifications to demonstrate competence to undertake a range of handyperson /building duties (see job description).
3. Working to specific instructions and schedules.
|Skills/knowledge||1. Knowledge and awareness of buildings management procedures and policies|
2. Demonstrable ability to effectively utilize allocated resources
3. Respectful of confidentiality and is customer focused approach to work
4. Continuously improving customer service within own work area
5. Understanding of diversity application in the workplace.
6. Ability to safely utilise and store a range of workplace machinery
|Other attributes (including registration and/or professional membership requirements)||1. Current and valid driving licence|
2. Comfortable with heights and working externally in a range of weather conditions.
3. To be available, when required to work outside of normal office hours.